TRIPLE A FOR LOVE!

-->
[BREAKING THE BREAD OF GOD’S WORD – 
6th Sunday of Easter B]

May 10, 2015



TRIPLE A FOR LOVE!



David Guetta echoes an old line from an old idea … “I can’t believe what I did for love!”


Everyone who gets to read this would agree. You all do great things out of love. You go out of your way everyday in the name of love. You endure so many pains because of love … exactly like Guetta says: “Stitch myself up and I’d do it again … I can’t believe what I did for love.”


Mothers do it every time. They stitch more than torn clothes. They hold the family together … again, out of love.


Today, only the one deeply steeped in denial would say otherwise … It is Love Sunday today! And more than that, love is an idea so old and so fresh … and so effective!


I am old enough to know just how important mother’s love is. I saw it first hand in my own life experience, both directly and vicariously. I see it everyday in my life of ministry for well over 30 years now. Matriarchs holding the fort for the family in many and varied ways … mothers’ silently suffering just so they could keep family united and whole.



The power of that love is undeniable. And to illustrate this, let me go to my favorite pastime … list down three words that all begin with letter A. This is the power of transformative love, not only of mothers, but the great love of God. That love is shown in Triple A: assurance, acceptance, and action!



More than anything else, what mothers do to us is give assurance to their children … that they are loved unconditionally. Your own mother loved you thus from day one, from the moment you moved in her womb. That assurance is what the readings today also give us: “As the Father loves me, so I also love you.”



But mothers went beyond the merely giving us reassurance. Like God, mothers gave us acceptance: “not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as expiation for our sins.”



But the big clincher for today being LOVE SUNDAY is ACTION. This trumps the first two and goes way, way up higher … And this, my friends, is what Guetta croons about … What one can do for love! What God can, and did, do for love of us … “No one has greater love than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.”



So let us do a three-step process and do something in the name of the great love of God – before and in relation to which, all else, including mother’s love, ultimately pales in comparison.



And let us do as film makers are wont to do … Lights! Camera! Action!



The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so they say. So here’s a timely suggestion from John: “Let us love one another because love is of God.”



Let us go beyond assurance and acceptance. Action!



You better believe it! … You can do great things in the name of love!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

SIMPLE GREATNESS

GOOD FRIDAY REFLECTIONS